Saturday, April 4, 2009

Armendora - Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

Grandpa Lancelot

 

 

“I’m fine, mother,” said Ned. “Don’t worry about me. Tell dad I said hello, okay? I love you.”

Ned was crying after he ‘hung up’ the Hacker. He’s been explaining about his disappearance from home; which made his parents worried sick. Alyssa put her hand on Ned’s shoulder, trying to comfort him. After Gloria had put back the Hacker in its place, she told them about her plan for tomorrow.

“Alyssa,” Gloria said. “I think it’s time to take Ned around; at least, around in the forest. He’s just been to the waterfall and there are a lot more to see in this Empty Forest.”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea, Gloria,” said Alyssa. “We should be training Ned tomorrow; to prepare him for the war ahead.”

“But I don’t think Ned needs more training,” said Gloria. “Besides, he already knows how to make magic. Look at how he drew that sword.”

“Are you sure it’s okay?” asked Ned.

“Of course, dear one,” said Gloria. “Let’s get some sleep. You’re going to need the energy for tomorrow’s adventure.”

 

The next morning, Gloria woke them up early in the morning. After breakfast, they started to walk out of the house and into the Empty Forest for their ‘jungle trekking’. Ned saw great sights of the forest—from the waterfall to the Old Castle—where trees are greener and taller than the ordinary trees on Earth. The awkward emptiness of the forest troubled Ned so much that he suddenly asked the question he had asked before.

“I really have to ask,” said Ned. “Where are the animals? Are they hiding or dead?”

“Well, they’re not dead, that’s for sure,” came a voice behind Ned’s back.

“What the—“shouted Ned but something tells him that the ghost has something to do with Alyssa.

“Grandpa!” exclaimed Alyssa, hugging the ghostly figure of an old man, dressed in rich robes with a crown on his bald head.

“Grandpa?” Ned asked. “This is your grandfather? He scared me!”

“Sorry about that, your Highness,” said the ghost. “Didn’t mean to do that. Your question made me really surprised.”

“Grandpa, not now,” said Alyssa. “He’s not ready yet.”

“Ready for what?” Ned asked. “Why did he call me ‘Your Highness’ when you are the princess, Alyssa?”

“Well, let me introduce myself,” said the ghost. “My name is Lancelot and I am the 15th King of Armendora.”

“15th King?” said Ned. “Wow, you’re really old.”

“I wouldn’t call myself old, but thanks for the compliment,” said Lancelot. “I’ve been like this for the past 20 years!”

“Twenty years?” said Ned. “Wow, you’re really old!”

“Can you PLEASE stop that?” barked Lancelot. “Just because I’m dead, doesn’t mean that you can make fun of me!”

“Okay, okay. I’m sorry!” said Ned.

“Phew,” sighed Alyssa. “Finally the fight has stop.”

“Hi, Your Majesty,” said Gloria.

“Hi, Gloria,” said Lancelot. “How are you?”

“I’m fine,” Gloria replied. “I just remembered something. I forgot my lucky necklace at the Tree House. Let me go and get it first while you guys can catch up.” After that, she went through the forest without looking back.

“That’s awkward,” said Alyssa. “I thought she didn’t have a lucky necklace.”

“Never mind that,” said Lancelot. “You need to know what happened when you’re not around.”

“What happened?” asked Ned.

“Terrible things,” said Lancelot. His face was sad, really sad that you can actually tell that it’s much worse than terrible.

2 comments:

cik penguin said...

ahah. this is getting confusing. but do i sense you are stalling the story? hehe.

*“Never mind that,” said Lancelot. “You need to know what happened when you’re not around.”*
the 'you' in question is Alyssa, right?

Are-Peace Archie said...

Yes...
The 'you' in question is actually Alyssa.
I made it that way because before Lancelot's line, Alyssa was talking...
Then, out of confusion, Ned asked straight away...

Post a Comment