Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Armendora - Chapter 11

This is the 11th chapter of Armendora. Do give me some ideas on how do you want to see how the story goes, okay? In desperate need of some great ideas...


Chapter Eleven

Sarahs History

 

 

 

Ned’s training began early the next day. Ned was trained with self defence first before learning magic from Lancelot. With the help from the books in the Sacred Cave, Ned was able to master the simplest spells within minutes.

After a few days of training, Ned was tested to make a bridge using magic. The bridge must be able to withstand the weight of an elephant, over the Grim River, the largest, widest, deepest river in Armendora; the largest Ned had ever seen. The current of the river was really fast, anybody could never survive once they feel in it. The river banks were lined with mosses and slippery stones that nobody can hold on to if they were to try and save themselves.

“What the purpose of this test again?” asked Ned. “I thought this magic was supposed to be used against Helmcit, not to build bridges.”

“The only way,” said Lancelot, “to go to the Castle is crossing this river, Ned. There’s no other way to go. Not if you can master the art of Appear and Disappear.”

“Why can’t we use that instead?” asked Ned.

“Because it’s Dark Magic, Ned,” said Alyssa. “That’s why. We don’t want you to be as evil as Helmcit. Dark Magic can turn someone so good and kind to someone who is merciless; like Helmcit.”

“Are you saying that Helmcit was a good man before all this?” asked Ned.

“Yes,” replied Lancelot. “Helmcit was a very good man. But his greed forced him to learn Dark Magic and eventually, he became bad, even worse than some of the Kings who ruled Armendora before.”

“So, we need the bridge,” said Ned, “to cross this river and defeat him?”

“Isn’t that what I told you before?” asked Lancelot.

“Oh, come on, Ned,” said Alyssa. “Let’s hurry up. I don’t want anything to happen to Gloria or my mother.”

“Right,” said Ned.

 

With certain difficulties (and a little help from Alyssa), Ned built a beautiful bridge. Since Ned’s magic is not strong, the bridge lasted only for 30 minutes before it disappeared. Crossing the bridge was another story. Even though Ned’s bridge was beautiful, it was not as strong as it should have been. There were some holes on the bridge, making it hard to cross. Also, the bridge does not have any fence on either side of it, making it even harder to cross as they have to avoid falling into the river through the holes and falling over either side of the bridge. Eventually, they made it across.

“Your magic needs more practice, Ned,” said Lancelot. “We’ll do some more tonight.”

They spent the night in a nearby cottage. The cottage was abandoned and according to Lancelot, the cottage was once belonged to Ned’s grandparents; before he was born. Ned’s mother met his father when she was learning history at the Old Castle. They accidentally bumped into each other in the Empty Forest when Ned’s father was collecting herbs for medicinal purposes. At that time, it was love at first sight for them.

“Once I know the truth,” said Lancelot, “I quickly forbid it. But, your mother was so stubborn; she decided to marry your father no matter what the cost; even if it meant losing the throne.”

“So, that’s why the Sacred Cave greeted me as ‘Prince’,” said Ned.

“Oh, do tell me more, grandpa,” said Alyssa. “I do want to know more about my dear cousin here.”

“Oh, come on, Alyssa,” said Ned. “Now you’re calling me cousin?”

“What’s wrong with that?” asked Alyssa. “You’re still my one and only; there’s no doubt about that.”

“Are you sure you don’t mind?” asked Ned to Lancelot.

“Well,” said Lancelot, “you two are very much like a long lost family reunited. But, since Sarah really wanted to marry Alex, she risked herself on losing the throne to her brother, Baltrix.”

“Wait,” said Ned. “So, my father didn’t change his name; only my mother and I did?”

“Hmm,” began Lancelot, “that’s right. He didn’t change his name, as far as I’m concerned. I don’t really remember your father well, Ned. But, he was a kind gentleman. Even though I was against the marriage, I always knew that he will take care of Sarah and the child they would have; which they did.”

“What else I should know about my family?” asked Ned.

“Nothing more that I can remember,” said Lancelot. “Maybe there’s more, but I can’t really figure out what.”

“Well, that’s okay,” said Ned. “Maybe we should begin my practice?”

“Oh, right,” said Lancelot. “I totally forgot about that.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment