Sunday, March 8, 2009

Armendora - Chapter 6

Chapter Six

Miss Gloria Grayne

 

 

 

“’Boy’? What does she mean by ‘boy’?” Ned asked curiously as he looked at the note that Alyssa had let go as soon as she finished reading it.

“It’s you. I’ve had these dreams and I drew them on pieces of paper. I’ve put them in frames on this table. That’s why I was so surprised when we came in just now. I thought my stepfather had come and get them,” replied Alyssa.

“You’ve been dreaming about me? How come? I’m kinda surprised and curious right now,” said Ned.

“It’s quite complicated. It’s one of the many reasons my stepfather wanted to get rid of me. I can see the future, especially in my dreams. I can see them and clearly remember them. That’s how I know you. Even though I didn’t know your name, I can clearly remember your face,” said Alyssa, looking at Ned.

“Hmm... OK then. I think I understand it right now. Come on, let’s have some dinner and go to bed. It’s already dark outside and we need a good rest for tomorrow’s journey,” said Ned.

 

Their dinner was ordinary for Alyssa but very weird for Ned; roasted deer and apple juice. For Ned, camping is something common but he had never tasted any food cooked on fire like he’s experiencing right now. Every time he went camping, his mother will provide home-cooked food. They just have to reheat them on the fire and eat them. This was a new experience for Ned. Little did Ned know, this was also a new experience for Alyssa. She had never eaten with a boy before and in her dreams, she had had several meals with the boy sitting next to her. She’s waited for this moment for a very long time.

“I’ve been waiting for this moment for a very long time,” said Alyssa, breaking the silence.

“Really? I’ve been longing to have a date with a girl,” said Ned.

“So, can this be considered as a date?” asked Alyssa. She had finished her dinner and now was facing Ned.

“Yes, of course it’s a date,” said Ned. He finished his dinner with a cough.

“Are you alright?” asked Alyssa, patting Ned’s back.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I drank too fast just now,” said Ned.

“Do be careful. I don’t want to see you choking,” laughed Alyssa.

“Haha. I’ll remember that,” said Ned.

 

That night, they slept in the two separate bedrooms. The sound of the forest made it easy for Ned to fall asleep. Alyssa, on the other hand, felt strange, like someone was watching them. She felt like there’s someone hiding in the tree house, unseen, waiting to strike her. So, to make sure she feels safe, she went into Ned’s room and slept beside him. The following morning, Ned was quite surprised to see Alyssa sleeping beside him.

“Are you alright? What are you doing here?” asked Ned.

“I’m sorry. I was afraid last night. I can’t really sleep. That’s why I came here. I hope you’re not mad,” said Alyssa.

“Of course I’m not mad. I was just surprised that you didn’t wake me up first,” said Ned.

“I didn’t want to disturb you,” said Alyssa.

“It’s okay. At least you know what to do when you’re afraid,” said Ned.

 

Their breakfast was as simple as last night’s dinner—bread and jam (no toast) and some juice. After that, they continued their journey to Alyssa’s guardian’s place, hoping that there’s no danger waiting for them along the way. The forest was as quiet as it should be. No animal sound; just the rustling of the leaves blown by the wind. About half an hour, they reached the waterfall, the one that Ned had seen when they were at the Old Castle. At the same time, Ned can see a clear path, like a road for travellers leading the way. They followedthe path and about ten minutes later, they reached a small cottage. There is smoke coming out from the chimney and as they walk towards the cottage, they can smell cooking food coming from the cottage. Alyssa knocked at the door and a few moments later, the door was opened and out came a very nice lady. She’s quite tall and her face was very pretty.

“Your Highness! You’re back!” exclaimed Gloria, hugging Alyssa really hard.

“Can’t breathe, Gloria!” said Alyssa.

“Sorry,” said Gloria.

“This is Ned,” Alyssa begun, gesturing to Ned. “He’s—“

“The boy who’s been in your dreams for the past month. I can see his face, dear,” continued Gloria.

“Hi. It’s nice to meet you,” said Ned, holding out his hand.

“We don’t shake hands here in Armendora. We hug,” said Gloria, giving Ned a big hug.

“I’m sorry,” said Ned. “I’m new here. So, I’m not really familiar with the customs and cultures here.”

“Don’t worry. You’ll learn more than you can imagine. Except now, the customs have changed. There are a lot of new rules and I’m breaking all of the new rules,” said Gloria.

“You mean the rules on Alyssa?” asked Ned.

“Of course. The king is so frustrated to know that you have escaped. I was worried so I went to our tree house and took all of the pictures. Come in!” said Gloria. She finally realized that they were talking outside. “Come in, children. Really sorry about the mess,” said Gloria, leading the way.

 

Gloria’s house was like an ordinary house. You might think you’re back in your world, except that you’re not. The only thing different in the house was Gloria’s pet; a tiger. Ned was shocked when he saw the tiger lying on the floor in the anteroom. The rest of the house was as ordinary as ever; the couch, dining table, kitchen; everything was the same as his own house back in Haybury. The only thing missing was the television, which is quite common when you’re living in the forest.

“Please, Ned. Sit down. Make yourself at home while I make something to drink. It’s still too early for lunch,” said Gloria.

“Thanks,” said Ned. “It’s quite scary to sit with a tiger in the house.”

“Well, you’ll get used to it. This is Karta, my pet tiger. She helps me with the hunting,” said Gloria.

“She’s really sweet, once you get to know her,” said Alyssa, petting the tiger. “Hello, Karta! Long time no see!”

The tiger rolled herself, happy to see Alyssa again. She let out a small growl, which frightened Ned.

“Now, now Karta. Ned’s new here. He’s still getting used to seeing a tiger in a house. Come, Ned. She’s really tame,” said Alyssa.

“I don’t really know how to pet a tiger. I’m used to cats,” said Ned. He’s still sitting on the couch, scared to even approach the tiger, as if the tiger will eat him once he get too close.

“Oh, come on. It’s just like petting a cat. Except, this cat is a bit bigger and stronger. Come, she’s eager to know you, right Karta?” said Alyssa.

“Okay. I’ll give it a try,” said Ned.

You’ve all been to the zoo, right? You all know how a tiger behaves when approached by a human, especially one that she’s not familiar with. Just imagine, the tiger was crouching as Ned approached. This made Ned a little scared. But, he tried to maintain a calm, steady face and this helped a bit. The tiger was rolling once Ned petted her on the head.

“Hehe. This is quite funny. She’s acting like a cat! I’m definitely enjoying this moment. It’s not easy to touch a tiger; to even approach a tiger will need a lot of courage. Good girl, Karta!” said Ned, playing with the tiger.

“Now that’s more like it!” Gloria said, carrying a tray with three glasses on it. “It’s good to see you making some progress around here, Ned.”

“Thanks. I can’t really believe I just played with a tiger,” said Ned. The tiger looked like its smiling and this made Ned happier.

“Well, come here. Enjoy your drink. Refresh yourself. Alyssa, take Ned to the waterfall later for a bath. I hope you know how to swim, Ned. Here, we bathe in rivers or lakes,” said Gloria. “I’ll get you a towel.” And with a quick move, Gloria went into her room and came back with a white, fluffy towel.

“Thanks. You’re really great, Gloria,” said Ned.

1 comments:

cik penguin said...

bathing naked ke? haha.

Post a Comment